Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Considering the Lobster; Monster Ballads

Thanks to Edward's heads-up, I realized there was a new book of DFW essays out. I've been reading that today. I also realized that for some reason, there was no link to his particular blog over there on the right. I have remedied that.

On another, unrelated note, I am sure you have all seen the ads for the re-issue of the Monster Ballads Comp. The other day, on my way to watch some Deadwood, I suddenly fell victim to the image of a Hannah-Barbera-style cartoon vampire singing "Is this Blood that I'm Stealin'" to the tune of the (looking left, looking right) Whitesnake song. You know which one.

This made me laugh very hard. So, I wanted to challenge you, Fickle Readers, to create more Monster Ballads. Using, of course, only the finest of hard rock ballads and the most easily recognizable monsters. This is not limited to your Frankenstein/Wolfman genre, but it could be. Especial love goes to those who can do this without forcing. And Adam M., nothing on Rubberneck is about the Universal Monsters.

2 comments:

JC! said...

Now I can't think of any song except for Steelheart's "Angel Eyes" because that's the song that was played after "Is This Love" in the Monster Ballads commercial. So it's going to take me a while to come up with a song to monster-mash.

Jake Swearingen said...

Eddie's on top of me? Double you tee eff?!

I mean, I'm waaay taller than him.

We're gonna be in LA, as I'm sure you know, next week. Come down or we'll come up or something, you DFW-esque motherfucker you.