Thursday, September 01, 2005

A Barren Noise: Figurality and the Critical Response to "The Fall of Hyperion"

Got my comments back on the rewrite. The paper is adequate to meet my MA review needs, apparently, and still needs more revisions. So. That's done.

In more important news, Astonishing X-Men #12 was pretty bad ass.

Shining Knight #4 was my first disappointment in the Seven Soldiers thing. I kinda see where Grant's going, and it seems like pretty well-covered ground. Who knows, though? I've been wrong before.

I'm trying this weight loss thing where I'm only drinking every other day. It sucks.

I have my first private tutoring thing happening next week. It seems pretty weird. The parents aren't going to be there. They will leave cash for me. I feel like some sort of illicit thing is going down, but I keep coming back to the idea that what they are really doing is paying me 45 bucks an hour to baby-sit a college sophomore. And try to get him to write better essays. The same thing with the PSAT prep thing. It's day care. What does day care cost? Do people that work at them make more money than me? I'm essentially in private education/child services at this point. We private education people should really talk to baby sitters and fucking unionize. When was the last time that YOU paid a baby-sitter 45dph? And why not? You didn't want your baby to go to Harvard? Didn't want your baby to excel? Thought that Votech was a reasonable option? Shit. Those days are over.

12 comments:

sadkingjonathan said...

Highschool sophomore. Sorry. I lived in France.

Anonymous said...

I sure as hell don't want my baby going to Harvard. Shit's expensive.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and sorry about missing you on AIM again. I appear to be quite a jerk. I promise, I wasn't in the room, again!

Anonymous said...

Holy shit. How do you warrant $45 dollars an hour? I charged ten. Now that I have my BAs, I'm thinking about going up to 15 or 20. Is this just a difference in cost of living, or are you somehow more special than me?

sadkingjonathan said...

Well, first I say, I won't do it for less than forty bucks an hour. Then they say, "But our son really respects you...Will you take 45?" Then I say, "We'll see. Gas prices are on the rise," but by then I'm putting the cash in my pocket.

SJ said...

Was it just me, or was the art in Astonishing X-Men 12 a little rushed looking? I want someone to write a comparison article outlining Cassaday's style and then showing how issue 12 was a very, very simplified version of his work.

And by someone, I mean you.

Also, I charge $150 an hour for design work, or $125 a page. Industry standard for artists is $225 a page, unless you're in demand, and then they pay you more.

I think Zoe's selling herself short.

Literally.

Anonymous said...

How many people hire you? I'm wondering because that sounds exorbitant, even for someone who now does have an art degree. The most I've ever been paid was around $20 or $25 an hour, when I was a TA in Germany. Granted, I realize there are lawyers out there making hundreds or even thousands of dollars per hour, but do you really get many clients who will pay you $150 an hour to make a logo or whatever for them?
I just don't feel that my skills warrant that kind of money. Neither Jonathan nor I have a teaching degree. Therefore we have no certification stating that we're supposed to know what we're doing when it comes to helping kids learn. How can we justify taking that much money from people when results aren't guaranteed? I mean, I'm sure my students did better in Italian than they would have had I not taught them, but it's not like I was turning D students into A students or anything.
Now, if Jonathan has gotten roped into that situation where he's actually writing his students' esays for them, that's a different story. You ought to charge pretty steeply for giving up your soul and destroying all academic validity.

Anonymous said...

Gaa, sorry. That was strong. But I do think that both $150 an hour and $45 an hour are a lot to charge. I doubt I'll ever make $100 an hour in my life. That's, let's see, 4000 a week times, let's say 50 weeks, $200,000 a year? I'll never make that.

Anonymous said...

I made $6 an hour at Game X Change.

I can't imagine ever getting over 10.

Unknown said...

Some one should ask Kendall what he made from Kaplen, because I think it would make Zoe weep. Tutoring is big business for rich people who want little johnny or suzy to go to some fancy school. Also, didn't Jonathan teach for a company over the summer, because I think that's a qualification.

My current rates are as follows:
$500 per hour
$1,000 per evening

Thoes rates are well under the current industry standards of
$800 an hour and $2,500 per evening, but since I don't have my degree yet I think it's only fair. I only have a few more night classes before I get my degree....

--Christal

SJ said...

Frankly, yes, I'm worth the money. And that's such a small amount of money to pay, too.

And your work speaks for itself, and since it generally takes about an hour or so to do a logo, it's pretty cheap compared to say, an ACTUAL design company, which charges, as a minimum, $450 an hour. I kid you not.

...That was a lot of commas. Also, JB's worth the time, since he makes more than that an hour translating comics and whatnot. They have to make it worth his time, hence, the $45.

And I had a professor tell me once that if you charge more for your work, people will assume that you're worth it.

After that, it's up to you to prove that you're worth it.

Anonymous said...

Industry standards, darling, are $200 per hour. If you are talking about the industry I think you are talking about.