Monday, September 12, 2005

Belgian Endives with Crab, Shrimp, and Lobster

I am to be the sous-chef tonight. I must descend into my kitchen to prepare the Lobster (sauteed), Endives (not Belgian, because Belgian ones are flavorless), garlic (minced), Crabmeat, and Shrimp (deveined, drained, and sauteed), soonish. As a result, this post might be briefer than normal.

****

I went and tutored A-- again. His mother seems downright crazy. He said she's not getting back until 9 tonight, which has to be a relief. Still, kids like this, that deal with parents who don't/can't get home until 6 hours after they get back from school...they really make me think about what a luxury it was to have two working parental units around when I was growing up. Someone always had time for me. I didn't even know that that was a thing. That people had trouble with. Just getting face time. I hate to be all schmaltzy, but there it is.

****

On a media note, could Dave or Z fill me in on what happens in Redemption Part II? Because I just finished Season IV of ST:TNG, and I think I'll work backwards before I get back to season 5.

Other media thoughts: The New Avengers use of the Sentry is pretty good, so far.

I started watching through Degrassi: The Next Generation: Season Two, today. If you haven't seen that on TV, just let me tell you Ep One has, like, three extra minutes. Of Craig getting kicked in the ribs. Hard core.

I will begin Babylon 5, Season One, soon. Likewise with Six Feet Under.

****
I think I have begun a tennis partnership. My calves and right forearm certainly protest that indeed I have. I only hope that it holds together for more than a week. You know how these alliances can be--shifting tides of competitiveness and camaraderie, the shadowy cancer burrowing through your flesh and scorning the easier, capillary routes to more resources in lieu of just shoving unarticulated subdermal tissues aside as the tumor bulk mines through your delicate, filo-like layers, the sun continuing to throw cancer as your sweat becomes just a gritty film of salt, dessicating your integument, etc. Many obstacles and pitfalls for this fledgling tennis republic.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

If you haven't seen Six Feet Under you're in for a real treat. It's so good that I might make it the subject of my capstone essay.

Anonymous said...

Do they leave the tennis courts open at night?

Anonymous said...

Six Feet Under: Everyone's Life Is Terrible All The Time, Even When They Are Dead

:O said...

Have you seen Deadwood? Season 1 of that show is on dvd-- I loved it. It's like a Sergio Leone movie but instead of all the tension and wide-angle shots of somebody riding a horse, there's character development and fucking. But the brutality's all there baby! And they say cocksucker every other word. And you know how I love the word cocksucker! And one of the main characters is named Swearingen. Which reminds me of my car breaking down the first weekend I started driving it, after I got my license back, in the hot hot sun on the frosty side of a road trip and me getting mad at Blair and Jake for laughing hysterically when I tried to adjust the rearviewmirror because Jake had been driving, and it broke off in my hand motherfucker.

I haven't seen Six Feet Under, it seems like a heavy show. Loved American Beauty of course. And I love Lobster. God, hows I loves the Lobster. Notice how it's capitalized? I always capitalize Lobster. That's how much I love it. My kids won't get to eat real Lobster. They'll have to eat farm Lobster and clone Lobster and that makes me sad. But a little bit more butter and lemon makes me happy!

care said...

I totally agree, six feet under is a very good show. Quite, quite good.

But it's awful all the ways that people can die.

And about the capitalization of the word lobster (Lobster). Know what's funny? In Wicked (which, PS, it a rather good read) all of the animals that can talk have the name capitalized--like Goats can talk but goats can't. Make sense?

So apparently Eddie likes to eat talking Lobsters. Who knew?!?

:O said...

Hey Carrie, have you heard the music for Wicked? It rocks. And I'm not a guy who normally goes for musicals (if you know what I mean ;) ;) *nudge* *nudge*).

Speakin' of talkin' Lobsters, y'know they scream when you boil them alive. They really do. Try it sometime. It might make you not want to eat them or it might make them taste even better, depending on how you are.

And I've heard that Lobsters can live to be a hundred years old but their ages are difficult to determine because they shed their shells every year.

sadkingjonathan said...

I have heard that lobsters are the secret guardians of the Key to Time. Once thought destroyed by Tom Baker and once seen manipulated by a poorly shorn Dolph Lundgren, Earth scholars now believe that the Key to Time rests in the barnacle-encrusted claw of Lobstor, Last Arbiter of the 7th Circle of Abadon, Keeper of the Eastern Currents and Defender of Crustacea-that-is. The Key to Time is in fact the reason for the indeterminate longevity of this particular arthropoid--its atemporal fluctuations cause space time to flatten out, in turn making the flow of time not quite linear, as a river flows forward and outward at an estuary.

:O said...

Prolly why they taste so good!

Anonymous said...

Redemption II...let's see...

It starts with some cool battle scenes. It's been a while since part I, and the Klingon Civil War isn't going great for Gowron.

Romulan Commander Sela (aka Denise Crosby) meets Picard and co for tea and what-the-fuck. She explains about the alternate Tasha Yar from "Yesterday's Enterprise" who went back to the past. Instead of dying in battle, she got captured and, well, raped by the Romulans, and had a daughter, i.e. Sela. Picard is skeptical but is convinced by Guinan. Sela says not to interfere in the Klingon war and leaves. The Enterprise goes back to Earth to talk to Starfleet about what to do.

Worf doesn't fit in with other Klingons because he has a sense of practicality and would rather do repairs on the ship than get drunk before a battle. (I actually liked this part, since it implies what I've always known--Klingons couldn't survive in the real world.) The Duras sisters try to seduce Worf, but he ain't havin' that.

Starfleet decides to send out a fleet to blockade the Romulan-Klingon border ,with some techno-crap about detecting cloaked ships, hoping to expose Rommie interference in the Civil War. Picard commands the fleet and gives Riker and Data command of their own ships. (Apparently all of the other actual captains in Starfleet had dysentery or something. I don't know.) Data, of course, has to deal with a jackass first officer who doesn't like androids; he ends up slapping the guy down pretty hard.

Long story short, they expose the Romulan interference on behalf of Duras, the Duras supporters go "Yuck, Romulans!" and like that the civil war is over and the good guys win. Gowron gives Worf the chance to kill Teen Duras, but he doesn't take it and instead goes back to the Enterprise.

--Dave