Sunday, August 28, 2005

Bulgar Wheat for the Vulgar-tongued Keats

Today, I will be working on a paper. And grading Final Exams from Operation: Get Paid: Summer Paid.

What else?

I had bulgar wheat and zucchini with egg for breakfast. Delicious.

I am learning the rudiments of html by osmosis. Here, "osmosis" refers to the process of trying to make a decent-looking blog. You might notice the subtle touch of the geometer's shoes and protractor peeking out at the footer. A little joke about my frustrations in trying to get images into the background with any kind of subtlety, one inspired by my new title. To be honest, it could have happened just as easily t'other way.

In actual life, the news is that my MA interview is set for the end of the first quarter. My paper will be the one on Keats that I am still re-writing. It's about (NB, if you don't care, then just skip a bit. The next parenthetical will tell you when to pick it up again.) the relationship of the Fall of Hyperion to Hyperion. More than that, it is about how the particularly figural and self-critical relationship of the Fall to Hyperion brings a lot of pressure to bear on critics of the text, which results in the critics just making things up. I put it in stronger terms. The action is an alchemical one which almost always results in some kind of speculative critical fiction. Especially from Historicist and New Historicist critics. The kind of fiction I'm talking about goes like this: Keats said in his letter dated something something, the following three words: "lend," "earn," and "circumstance." Those three words also appeared in the titles of editorial articles in The Examiner six days previously. In that issue, there was another article, in the back, about the effects of Napoleon's conquest on England's economic position. Keats probably read that paper and, if he did, this poem could really be a contemporary examination of the effects of empire in historical succession. My secondary evidence? Well, Apollo-->Apollonian-->Naapollion. I did not make this up. Throw in some pseudo-science--read "psychoanalysis"--about him trying to break free of Milton's Rigidly Phallic Statuesque influence, and you have one of the major New Historicist books on Keats that discusses these poems. One of the major books on Keats in the last 20 years. My question was "How does this happen?" Then, I wrote a paper about how it might. And how the "might" part was because of how self-critical this particular work is and how it asks questions about what genre it is. (Okay. That's over. You can resume reading.)

So, that's what I'm doing today. Re-writing. To make up for all of that, here is a delightful link.

3 comments:

Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

Aaah! Weird.
I wasn't expecting that bird.

This is definitely not the first time you've mentioned a thing with Hyperion in the title. I should read these things.

I know. Uncultured whelp.

:O said...

Sterling won't let me post on his blog anymore. Jonathan? Could I maybe post on yours for a little while? Just for like a few weeks or so until-- y'know, until I get back on my feet. I promise to clean up after myself. And if you ever need the blog to yourself, y'know, just say the word bro, and I'll go take a walk or see a movie or something...

sadkingjonathan said...

I guess that's cool, but don't touch any of the shit labelled "Jonathan" in the refrigerator. The second shelf's all yours.